Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Poetry Pop- Up Regie Cabico

Oblation
by Regie Cabico

Your poems revolve around
                                                my brain like sushi rolls
                        of genius
            on a conveyor belt…

I sit in the darkest corner
                        where my eyes are pitchers
                                                full of sangria…

& I am too sullen to sleep
                        or blink. I offer you my arms
                                                that are so heavy
            they would break a lover…

Instead I give you my fists
                                                unfolding like construction
                        paper cupids …

I have pried my ribs
                                    in the hope
            of finding you an Adam…

The cuckoo clock
                                    in my chest
            collapses & I release the bird…

Here is my body,
                                    a mausoleum
                        of Russian dolls…

            for all the failed romances
                        I’ve unscrewed…

Accept these gifts: the bird
                        that looks like 2 mustaches
            kissing, the arms of a clock

that never meet, my fists
                        light as snowflakes  & the river

                                                of sangria that quietly
            moves & waves us on…


Reprinted from Beltway Poetry Quarterly, Vol. 17:2, Spring 2016, with permission of the author.



Regie Cabico is a spoken word pioneer, having won the Nuyorican Poets Cafe Grand Slam in 1993 and taking top prizes in the 1993, 1994 and 1997 National Poetry Slams. Cabico is co-editor of the anthologies Flicker and Spark: A Contemporary Queer Anthology of Spoken Word and Poetry (Lowbrow Press, 2013) and Poetry Nation: The North American Anthology of Fusion Poetry (Vehicule Press, 1998), and his work appears in the anthologies Short Fuse, Poetry Slam, The Spoken Word Revolution, and Full Moon on K Street: Poems About Washington, DC. He is co-director of the Capturing Fire National Queer Poetry Slam And Summit. Cabico was a featured poet at the 2016 Split This Rock Poetry Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment